Thursday, September 20, 2007

Lure of the Ocean


The ocean is a special, magical place, escpecially when viewed from three feet above the water for several weeks, as any one of the 300 odd ocean rowers can tell you. And in addition to the ocean, the American Fire is a special, magical team. I was reminded of this last night when the three of us were back together again down in Awhatukee. There really is something about Kohl, the boat, and myself that I just can't explain. We've been through a lot... when we met for the first time on a beach in Toledo, we were not even contemplating buying her, but when we took the oars for the first time, we knew that there was a connection. Then, when we brought her "home" to Eagle Creek Reservoir a few short months later, we celebrated by rowing her all over the lake and sharing our beer and Doritos with her (by accidently spilling them all over) during our first night onboard. From the wind on Lake Michigan without a rudder, to the swift current and muddy waters of the Wabash River, to the million dollar houses surrounding Walloon Lake. From long road trips with her in the rusty van to 90 days and one million memories of Intercoastal Waterway, Biscayne Bay, and the Atlantic Ocean down in Florida. And then, after all that work and a year and a half together, setting off on the adventure of a lifetime. Fourty-six days of beauty, wonder, stars, storms, and the most magnificent sunrises you have ever witnessed.

I've heard a saying before, I don't remember if it was Maori or Native American, but I wish I had written it down, though. Basically it says that if you experience a near-death situation with someone, you become forever a part of each other and must do all that you can to make sure that they stay alive and well from then on. And despite all of the things that have gone on since that fateful Sunday, I still understand that. Last night out in the foothills of the South Mountains, I remembered why. It was just the three of us and the quiet comfort a clear night filled with stars and a half-full moon. I can't explain it, so I won't attempt to, but there is just a comfort and magic knowing what we've been through and the fact that we're still romping around this crazy planet.

It doesn't help that I got a call from Simon Chalk two days ago. When the 12 digit number from England showed up on my phone, I wasn't sure what to think, but after a 10 minute conversation, I was even less sure. I have a great life right now... I love my job, I love my classes, I love the adventures that I've got coming up here in Arizona, I'm having a lot of fun with ultimate and rugby, I've got great friends, my family is doing great, and just overall, I'm a very happy kid. But, a dream deferred is a tough thing to always have in the back of your mind, and you don't realize just how powerful it is until you've been given a chance to get back out there. The next ocean rowing race is just over two months away, and Simon gave us the option of putting together a 4s team or a pairs team, with both boats just about ready to go and with "minimal" costs (this still means many thousands of dollars in ocean rowing). It would be a long shot... I've just begun putting together my PhD committee and I have a very stable, low stress, life for once in my life. But I realize that deep down, I would defer those dreams for the shot at fulfilling another. I will not be satisfied until I do.




We haven't committed, just merely asked for more information, and are still digesting the idea that Simon has planted in our heads. The idea may remain just that, but the mere thought that I would risk my current life that I love for another life that I may love even more just shows the powers of a dream and the spell that the ocean holds over me. As we were leaving the boat last night, I accidently kicked the trailer in the dark at the bow of the boat, and blood started to trickle down the center of my left foot. When I got home, I cleaned it up, and noticed that the new cut is directly overtop of the scar that the boat gave me back in 2005 when we beached her. As much pain and suffering that the three of us have put each other through, we're still all a part of each other, and the lure of the ocean affects us all the same.

2 comments:

The Chaser said...

TEAM OPD ROWS ACROSS THE ATLANTIC. I see the headlines now.

Crazy Rower #2 said...

Haha, that would be awesome! I'd like to see you and Angel out there and see how well you take it... that would definitely be interesting :).