Thursday, November 29, 2007

Safe in the Canaries, getting ready to go!

Just one last quick blog before I take off... a bit hurried, because internet is expensive and I don´t have much time. More blogs available on our website: www.rowformeningitis.com Hope you´ll follow us across!

It´s been a pretty stressful last couple of weeks, but things are finally looking really good for Unfinished Business to finally finish.

Two weeks ago, I waved goodbye as Emily headed off to the Canaries, and then rushed around like a chicken with my head cut off to finish up all of my presentations, exams, manuscripts, and experiments at work while trying to sort through finances for my personal life, American Fire, and the current race, as well as buying massive amounts of food and trying to get everything done to prepare to leave Phoenix and get on for the race. Ryan took me to the airport with my 100 pounds of stuff, and I managed to make it to Louisville with everything still intact. I had a wonderful Thanksgiving with my mom´s side of the family up on my Grandma´s farm complete with cousins, turkey, stuffing, and a massive bonfire. I then spent that Friday walking around Dad´s new gorgeous farm and then packing the rest of my things before saying goodbye to friends and having one last homemade meal of chicken enchiladas. Then it was off on Saturday to the airport with all of my bags that weighed much more than my own body weight. After one last rum and coke with Dad in the airport bar and a several hugs and promises that I´d row as fast as I could, I was off on my own, off on the adventure again. It was 20 hours of traveling from Louisville to Chicago to Dublin to London to Tenerife, and when I arrived, I was exhausted but overwhelmingly excited. I met the Spectra (watermaker) repairman while waiting for my bags, and we got so wrapped up in conversation, that I wasn´t too worried that my bags weren´t turning up. But when all the bags were out, and my 150 lbs of food were still not on the carousel, I started to get worried. I searched all over the tiny airport before admitting defeat and filing a claim. I headed over with Jim and took the ferry over to Gomera sans bags. My desparation was delayed though when I saw our boat, Jo, and Kohl in the boatyard. She´s a beautiful boat and it was amazing to finally be here. We spent the remainder of the evening in The Blue Marlin where I was welcomed as a friend by Manuel (owner of the pub) and all of the Woodvale staff and started meeting our competition. My bags did turn up, and were a blessing in disguise, as British Airways delivered them directly to the marina for free - I didn´t have to lug the things from Tenerife, and it saved me a lot of hassle in the end. The last few days have been spent fitting the last of the equipment, organizing food, having meetings with Woodvale and the fleet, and making sure that everything is ready to go. Tara got in Tuesday evening, bringing presents of logoed shirts and hats, and completing the Unfinishe Business team. The forecast is looking beautiful this year for a fast race, and the trades are blowing strong already, woohoo! We´re planning on getting the boat in the water this afternoon, and will be participating in the Gomera Cup on Friday before having a bit of time to relax and recheck equipment in preparation for Sunday´s race start.

Ok, I´ve gotta get outta here, but please follow our progress on www.rowformeningitis.com and see you when I return in mid-January!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck Sarah, may you have good fortune & good weather.

Bill